Aujourd'hui 24 November nous fêtons : Saintes Flora et Marie - Martyres à Cordoue (✝ (...)

Diocèse de Valence

 Home > Discovering the diocese > Its patrimony > The church dedicated to Saint John the Baptiste

The church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist was built, according to the habit, on the highest spot of the town. During the period of history called the High Middle Ages, this was the traditional way of preceeding.


 The origines of the church
The church dedicated to Saint John the Baptist was built, according to the habit, on the highest spot of the town. During the period of history (...)

 Reconstructions and embellishment
The church was re-opened for religious service on March 24th 1801, through a stipulation from the Governor. It then became for some time a (...)

 A Roman clock-tower, but from the XIXth century.
After the renovation of the central part of the church in 1849, the clock-tower was tended to in 1861. The architect and road-builder Auguste (...)

 The Roman Capitals
Eight sculptured capitals decorate the Clock-tower entrance, as a last remaining from the Medieval Roman Church. Among these, four represent a (...)

 




                Hébergement: C.E.F | Follow site activity RSS 2.0 | SPIP